View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Orthodox Cretin

re: Amazing stuff

There have been so many times when I have been trying to DPS as WHM when a DPS (typically BLM) fails to move out of something, double flares, takes agro and is dead in 1 or 2 hits and ofc that's my fault and I get the whole "Try healing rather than DPSing." The usual blame game argument then follows of whether a) the tank should have held agro, b) whether the DPS should have managed their DPS or c) whether I should have been healing. This is why I just heal.

Orthodox Cretin

Yeah I thought the PLD set really stood out. I thought there may have been a bit more variation on the standard armour sets mind. My WHM one looks similar to the one at the moment but simplified. WHERE ARE MY BIG POINTY SHOULDERPADS!!!!!!

Vackashken
Leader
Legend

Legend

Mithran God wrote:

There have been so many times when I have been trying to DPS as WHM when a DPS (typically BLM) fails to move out of something, double flares, takes agro and is dead in 1 or 2 hits and ofc that's my fault and I get the whole "Try healing rather than DPSing." The usual blame game argument then follows of whether a) the tank should have held agro, b) whether the DPS should have managed their DPS or c) whether I should have been healing. This is why I just heal.

Thats all up to you in the end. If you want to stay healing - stay healing. If you want to try and grow a bit (this does not imply you have to), then you should do runs with FC members who won't blast you for mistakes. Like anything, its a growing process so it takes time to learn how to balance between DPS and healing. However, again, all that said Whm don't really DPS in coil like dungeons cause their acc is so crap - thats more a sch role which is, frankly speaking, better suited for stance dancing and DPSing.

Mithran God wrote:

This is why I just heal.

Let them all die MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

But seriously, playing tank/healer and having noobs get themselves killed all the time in easy content has given me a pretty thick skin when it comes to this sort of thing. I know when I've made a mistake or pushed my luck too much so that the tank died, and I'll own up to that, but I also know when I tried to save someone but couldn't, and it was just a case of I couldn't carry hard enough. That doesn't mean I'm not going to keep pushing my limits, otherwise I won't know what they are XD

That set of gear looks pretty cool, but I think that is probably going to be like the ironworks, i.e. the set that everyone and their uncle is wearing. That immediately puts me off using it as my look since I don't like to blend in that much. That said, it has a nice natural-y look (if you understand what I mean) like the fabric is slightly rougher and more weighty, which I like. The greatsword (DRK) that looks somewhat like a large scimitar or katana is very nice. It looks a lot better to me than the more medieval looking DRK swords they have shown off for the most part, which is odd considering that I hate all the curved swords they've released for PLD so far.

All of the new gear is looking awesome and there are going to be hordes of glamour options :D

How big are SE going to make ninja weapons. At this rate they are going to duel wielding giant swords :P

Vackashken
Leader
Legend

Legend

The reddit Thread Ruru posted has way more info on it now.

click

After playing with each of the jobs, summoner felt to be the most challenging. Instead of receiving a new Egi, summoners are receiving a new element where they can harbor the power of Bahamut, called Bahamut Aether.

Stay away from Kippin.

number473 wrote:

That set of gear looks pretty cool, but I think that is probably going to be like the ironworks, i.e. the set that everyone and their uncle is wearing. That immediately puts me off using it as my look since I don't like to blend in that much. That said, it has a nice natural-y look (if you understand what I mean) like the fabric is slightly rougher and more weighty, which I like. The greatsword (DRK) that looks somewhat like a large scimitar or katana is very nice. It looks a lot better to me than the more medieval looking DRK swords they have shown off for the most part, which is odd considering that I hate all the curved swords they've released for PLD so far.

All of the new gear is looking awesome and there are going to be hordes of glamour options :D

I agree, this is why I never really wore Ironworks gear. It was never that special-looking either. Doesn't your character usually wear a bikini though..? xD

I like the new NIN stuff too though, gear looks cool and hurray for longer blades

Kato Neron

On DRK mechanics.. I read they will be expected to 'stance dance'? Can anyone explain how this would work. Like, would you go in with Grit and build solid aggro, then switch to Darkside to pump out maximum dmg? Switch back to Grit when necessary, or when extra def is needed?

Also Dark Arts sound like they will be tricky to use at first and will require experience to know how to properly use so you don't deplete your MP or waste the usages. Also the large amount of moves and combos that DRK has. Being a PLD main, perhaps I should switch to WAR to practice for DRK.. as that is the only class I will be using anymore when it comes out.

Kato Neron

@Vack I do have WAR at 50. Just don't generally play it much.

Vackashken
Leader
Legend

Legend

All tanks should have their war at 50. Having one of each is kind of a must in certain ways.

Kato Neron wrote:

On DRK mechanics.. I read they will be expected to 'stance dance'? Can anyone explain how this would work. Like, would you go in with Grit and build solid aggro, then switch to Darkside to pump out maximum dmg? Switch back to Grit when necessary, or when extra def is needed?

Yup this exactly from what I understand. Some Warriors already do this from my understanding, i.e. drop Defiance to boost damage when the added HP isn't essential.

I think this explains the stance dancing pretty well. Just copied and pasted from the link that Vack relinked. Worth a read as it got a lot of good stuff in it on all the new classes having played hands on.

In battle as dark knight, the starting point for the various abilities is "Darkside." After using Darkside, it will become visible as a red and black aura emanating from the feet. Damage dealt will be slightly increased, but the dark knight will be placed into a state where he is constantly consuming MP. The consumption is not as high as the recovery rate outside of battle, so you will recover MP when not in combat, but in battle the recovery rate does not keep up so your MP will slowly be depleted.

Also, while using Darkside, the dark knight's MP is not affected by MP recovery actions from machinist turrets or bard songs. To recover MP during combat, you'll have to do it on your own by using actions that have associated MP recovery effects such as "Siphon Strike." So when only using Darkside, it is possible to slowly recover MP. It's not much different from managing your MP while spamming Flash on Paladin, but the difficulty goes up when you introduce some of the aspects of "Dark Arts."

With the Darkside aura active, you can use the buffing Dark Arts actions. There is nothing that raises attack power itself, for example, but they raise the power of individual actions or add special additional effects when the actions are used. For example, while using Dark Arts, the weaponskills Soul Eater and Abyssal Drain are enhanced with the additional effect of absorbing HP. The defensive buff "Dark Mind" receives an increased amount of damage reduction. So while with Paladin you can activate protective buffs by simply using them, with dark knight it's possible to combine offensive or defensive abilities with Dark Arts to achieve a stronger effect.

Dark Arts consumes a surprisingly high amount of MP. Since dark knights don't have the same flexibility with MP as casters, your MP will bottom out after just about three uses. Dark knights have an ability called "Unleashed" to gain enmity over an area, corresponding to "Overpower" from warriors, and "Unmade" to gain enmity on a single target, but these are both MP consuming magical attacks so it's essential that dark knights don't neglect their crucial role of drawing enemy hate. Without being accustomed to the job, I was frequently running out of MP and had situations where the enemy was running after the healer and I had to chase it down because I was too focused on using the additional effects from Dark Arts.

I play as a tank for my main job. I think I can say this safely for my fellow tanks as well that MP is not really something we are normally worried about. However, because the effect of Darkside ends when your MP reaches 0, I found that I was unable to execute actions and then I realized that I ran out of MP. If you're a tank planning to change to Dark Knight in Heavensward, it might make sense to first learn about MP management as white mage.

Of course, dark knight also has certain abilities which can be executed without Darkside or Dark Arts. They have basic combos to increase hostility akin to the Halone combo and the Butcher's Block combo, and ranged abilities to gain enmity. They can also use additional skills from paladins and warriors [[gladiator and marauder for additional actions]] such as Provoke and Foresight. The "Grit" stance for dark knight is similar to the Shield Oath stance on paladin which increases enmity gain and reduces damage taken by 20%. As a side note, existing tank actions like Shield Oath and Defiance are being adjusted with increased accuracy which is good news, especially for warrior, as tank classes had struggled to get enough accuracy.

Earlier I mentioned that dark knight is an active tank class. They have abilities to rush in where they jump into the air and dive down swinging their greatsword [["Plunge Cut"]]. There are also actions that allow you to aggressively attack with a placed DoT type skill. Skilled players should be able to use this tank job to generate strong DPS similar to warriors. Additionally, they also have a last stand type action similar to Holmgang on warrior which is a unique ability that fits well with dark knights, so please check that out at release [[this is "Last Stand" - gives Zombie status if you drop to 1 HP, need to be healed to full in the next 10 seconds or you die]].

We also got a chance to see the level three limit break for dark knight, which was a flashy move with clear demonic influence. This job might be irresistible for those who are into that kind of thing. If you're looking for a ferocious tank class, there's no doubt that dark knight is the one you'll want to play.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black Fox Consortium Forum Index -> News All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: